Drawing & Painting
Plein Air Painting in Gouache
A two-day workshop in painting outdoors with gouache (opaque watercolor), a fun and versatile water-based medium, well suited for painting on location. Techniques will include choosing a landscape composition, gouache paint handling, mixing a wide range of colors from a simplified palette, and creating textures for trees, grasses and other landscape elements. The workshop will feature both a demo painting by the instructor and individual instruction.
Email email@example.com for a very detailed supply list with paint suggestions.
- Paint: a core palette of gouache paint will be provided but participants are welcome to purchase additional paint or bring their own.
- Paper: Strathmore Series 400 Mixed Media pads, 140lb or 300gsm, vellum surface, 9” x 12” or 6” x 8”
- Mixing tray: Masterson Sta-Wet Handy Palette or any rectangular watercolor palette or mixing tray with a good size mixing area, or several mixing areas
- Short handled synthetic brushes: 1/2 inch flat wash (or shader) - 2 of these), 1/4 inch flat wash (#6 or #8 flat shader) - 2 of these, #6 or #8 round, #2 round
- 2 water containers: Larger jar to rinse brushes and smaller jar for clean water
- 2 oz spray bottle for misting colors
- Easel or outside painting set up
- Paper towels
- Sketchbook for initial sketch
- Viewfinder (optional)
- Sunscreen, hat, drink since painting outside