In-person guided, self-guided, and virtual visits are available by reservation for school and youth groups. $6 per student for guided/self guided tours. $125 per class for virtual visits.
DelArt K–12 School Tours | Fall 2021
Visual art can be both a window onto the stories and perspectives of others and a mirror reflecting and validating our own stories and perspectives. This fall, youth tours will introduce Black artists, representations, and histories at the Delaware Art Museum, drawing on both the permanent collection and works in the special exhibition, Afro-American Images 1971: The Vision of Percy Ricks. Guided looking routines support students’ exploration of works representing Black subjects and works by Black artists.
Student Learning Goals and National Visual Art Standards:
- Goal 1: Students will build critical thinking skills through deep looking, visual analysis, and dialogue. (Responding, Perceive – Anchor Standard 7.1 & 7.2; Connecting, Relate – Anchor Standard 11)
- Goal 2: Students will deepen their understanding of African American history and culture by analyzing art made by African Americans, in a wide variety of media and styles and created over the span of 145+ years. (Responding, Perceive – Anchor Standard 7.1 & 7.2; Connecting, Relate – Anchor Standard 11)
- Goal 3: Students will connect historical works of art to their own lives and experiences. (Responding, Perceive – Anchor Standard 7.1 & 7.2; Connecting, Relate – Anchor Standard 11)
- Goal 4: Students will learn about Percy Ricks and how his 1971 exhibition documented, presented, and celebrated local and African American art. (Presenting, Share – Anchor Standard 6; Responding, Perceive – Anchor Standard 7.1)
- Goal 5: Students will engage in discussion of whose history is recorded and how museums can help tell a more inclusive story of the arts. (Presenting, Share – Anchor Standard 6; Responding, Perceive – Anchor Standard 7.1)
Tour availability is limited. Book your tour today!
For information on school tours, please contact Saralyn Rosenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org. Funding is available to offset costs for transportation and admission through the Red Apple Fund. Apply here. View current COVID-19 policies.